NBG Teen Volunteer Program
At this time, we are not accepting applications for the NBG Teen Volunteer Program.
The NBG Teen Volunteer Program is an 10-week summer program that provides teens between ages 14-18 with the opportunity to learn about nature, develop work and leadership skills, make new friends, and earn volunteer hours for college applications and resumes.
Ideal candidates for the NBG Teen Volunteer Program will:
- Be entering grades 9−12 in fall 2021.
- Be open to interacting with Norfolk Botanical Garden Staff and guests of all ages, especially elementary school-aged children.
- Be enthusiastic about learning and practicing new skills.
- Get along well with peers and work well in a group.
- Be interested in learning more about horticulture, environmental science, and early childhood education.
- Have access to reliable transportation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet guests and provide general information about the WOW Children’s Garden and Norfolk Botanical Garden.
- Set up and teach Discovery Cart activities at various locations throughout the WOW Children’s Garden.
- Support a clean and safe environment through light indoor and outdoor cleaning and activity preparation.
- Assist NBG Horticultural staff in WOW by occasionally performing essential garden maintenance such as weeding, pruning, dead-heading, planting, watering, mulching, and debris clean up.
- Assist with the youth summer classes and programs hosted in the WOW Children’s Garden.
- The Teen Volunteer Program runs from Monday, June 21-Friday, August 27 (10 weeks).
- Teen volunteers are required to volunteer at least 8 hours every two weeks. With the completion of the program at the end of the summer, teen volunteers should accumulate at least 40 volunteer hours.
- Failure to adhere to schedule requirements may lead to dismissal from the program.
- After completing fifteen hours, teen volunteers will receive an NBG Volunteer t-shirt.
- At end of the summer, teen volunteers will be asked to complete an exit interview for the program.