NBG Teen Volunteer Program
The application window for the 2023 Teen Volunteer Program is closed.
For other volunteer opportunities please email email@example.com.
The NBG Teen Volunteer Program is a 10-week summer program that provides teens between ages 14-18 with the opportunity to learn about nature, develop work and leadership skills, make new friends, and earn volunteer hours for college applications and resumes.
Ideal candidates for the NBG Teen Volunteer Program will be:
- Entering grades 9−12 in fall 2023. If not in public school, participants must be 14-18 years old.
- Willing to interact with Norfolk Botanical Garden Staff and guests of all ages, especially pre-k and elementary school-aged children.
- Enthusiastic about learning and practicing new skills.
- Get along well with peers and work well in a group.
- Interested in learning more about horticulture, environmental science, and early childhood education.
- Have access to reliable transportation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet guests and provide general information about the WOW Children’s Garden and Norfolk Botanical Garden.
- Set up and teach Discovery Cart activities at various locations throughout the WOW Children’s Garden.
- Support a clean and safe environment through light indoor and outdoor cleaning and activity preparation.
- Assist NBG Horticultural staff in WOW by occasionally performing essential garden maintenance such as weeding, pruning, dead-heading, planting, watering, mulching, and debris clean up.
- Assist with the youth summer classes and programs hosted in the WOW Children’s Garden.
- The Teen Volunteer Program runs from Monday, June 19 to Sunday, August 27 (10 weeks).
- Shift times will run from 10AM-2PM and 2PM-6PM.
- Teen volunteers are required to volunteer at least 8 hours every two weeks. With the completion of the program at the end of the summer, teen volunteers should accumulate at least 40 volunteer hours.
- Failure to adhere to schedule requirements may lead to dismissal from the program.
- At end of the summer, teen volunteers will be asked to complete an exit interview for the program.
The application window is closed. Registration for the 2024 teen volunteer program will be posted in March 2024.
- Your Name
- Your Age/School & Grade Entering in Fall 2023
- Your Email
- Your Phone Number
- Parent/Guardian Contact Name:
- Parent/Guardian Email:
- Parent/Guardian Phone Number:
- Please include answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to participate in the NBG Teen Volunteer Program?
- Do you have any previous volunteer experience? If yes, tell us about your experience.
- Your application email should also include one (1) reference letter.