New! Backyard Programs
Although we are unable to host Scout programs at the Garden at this time, we want to provide the following “learning in place” activities and resources to encourage environmental education and related activities at home. Many of our activities are supplemental to the badge programs and activities listed on the GSCCC For Girl Scouting at Home webpage. Click Here the full list of Council recommended badge programs to complete at home.
Backyard Nature Scavenger Hunt
Click Here to access our NBG Backyard Nature Scavenger Hunt. This activity can be completed on its own, or it can assist your Girl Scout in earning the following outdoor/nature-oriented badges:
- Daisy Eco Learner
- Brownie Outdoor Adventurer
- Brownie Eco Friend Brownie Bugs
- Junior Outdoor Art Explorer
While we would prefer our Girl Scout Explore NBG Patch program be completed “in house”, there are still program requirements that Scouts must complete at home. Review the patch requirements HERE, and then review the list of Take Action activities below. At least one Take Action activity must be completed to earn the Explore NBG Patch, but we encourage Scouts to give them all a try! Once you are able to visit the Garden with your troop, you can complete the needed Discover and Connect requirements to earn the patch.
Take Action Activities:
- Visit Norfolk Botanical Garden’s website HERE to learn about the areas you would like to visit during your trip. Using the map of the Garden, select each of the gardens you would like to see, and draw the best route for your walk.
- Research jobs in wildlife or horticulture that can be found in Virginia (Wildlife Biologist, Gardener, Botanist, etc.). Choose your favorite career, and investigate the education and training needed to achieve this position.
- Record the items that go into your family garbage can for one week. Record which items could be recycled (and then recycle them), or which items could be added to compost. After a week, separate the items into three lists, and discuss with your family ways to reduce the amount of trash created. Put a plan into action to reduce your impact on the environment.
- Track how many steps you take in a day with a pedometer or Fitbit. Research the recommended number of steps per day for a healthy adult. Using the Norfolk Botanical Garden map, create a route that would satisfy this daily requirement.
At this time, we are not booking any onsite Scout programs through the end of May 2020.
Book your Scouts for a day in the Garden! Opportunities include educator-led guided programs and self-guided tours. Program times are available Saturdays and Sundays, and during weekday afternoon/early evening meetings. All dates are subject to availability, and must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance. All program rates include Garden admission. NBG Member adults are permitted to chaperone Scout programs for free. A $120 minimum is required for all scout programs.
To book a Scout program, or for more information on options for your group, give us a call at (757) 441-5830 ext.463, or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
All guided programs last approximately an hour and a half, and include the designated badge, patch, loop, or pin for each participating scout. Guided programs are $15/scout, and $10/adult and tagalongs. We offer the following guided programs:
- Explore Norfolk Botanical Garden Patch (All Ages) – Click here for requirements
- Brownie Bugs Badge
- Junior Flowers Badge
Have another guided program in mind? No problem!
In addition to our provided guided programs, we can try to customize a program to help your troop earn the badge, patch, loop, or pin of your choice! Customized programs need to be booked at least a month in advance to ensure staff are able to build the program. To be approved for completion, program requirements must adhere to the policies of the Garden. Customized guided programs are $20/scout, and $10/adult and tagalongs, and include the corresponding badge, patch, loop, or pin.
Check out our Explore Norfolk Botanical Garden self-guided backpack, or use the Garden as a site for completing a program of your choice. Self-guided programs are led by troop leaders, and do not include badges, patches, loops, or pins. Self-Guided Programs are $12/Scout and $10/adult and tagalongs.
Need a new, exciting space for a Scout meeting or event? Book a classroom in the WOW Children’s Garden! Rental pricing starts at $200, and includes an hour and a half rental time in the classroom, Garden admission for the troop, and access to one of our self-guided backpacks. Additional fees apply if a guided program is booked.
Schedule your group to complete our guided Explore Norfolk Botanical Garden Patch program (perfect for troops with multiple levels), and then choose one of our many garden bridges for your Scouts to complete their bridging ceremony. Additional fees will apply if you want to book a private classroom to celebrate after the ceremony.