NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDEN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
POSITION: Horticulturist Assistant
Position type: Fulltime employment, 40 hours per week. Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Description: Performs all aspects of display bed maintenance in the assigned area to set a standard of horticulture excellence under the direct supervision of a horticulturist or a curator.
Essential Functions: Assists horticulturists in the maintenance of horticulture beds and collections through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application. Supervises assigned volunteers. Works outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Must be willing to work alongside horticulturists using fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides and herbicides with the label stated safety precautions.
- Interest and the ability to learn and perform horticultural practices.
- We prefer that a candidate for this position have an Associate’s Degree in Horticulture or related field and one year practical experience, or that the candidate is working toward higher education in horticulture or a related field. Related experience is also considered and valued.
- Ability to push, pull, lift and perform manual labor for 8 hours.
- Valid driver’s license.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, and fertilization.
- Performs the appropriate soil preparation and planting procedures.
- Works alongside other members of their team and Horticulture Department in team projects.
- Operates small engine equipment safely (golf cart, weed-eater, blower, edger, etc…).
- Cleans, and uses hand tools and equipment responsibly.
- Assists their designated horticulturist in performing the basic tasks in their area when the horticulturist is not present.
- Assists with special events. This requires a flexible schedule to include occasional nights and weekends.
- At the discretion of their supervising curator, assumes greater responsibilities such as operating restricted use equipment, acquiring Virginia Registered Technician pesticide license, and other duties as assigned.
Benefits: Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays. Health insurance (NBG pays 70% of individual premium), 403(b) retirement with up to 4% company match and professional development opportunities.
Reports to: Curator
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Visit https://norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/about-us/employment/ to download an application.
Send resumes and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our friends at the Marigold & Honey Cafe are always looking for great employees. Please visit their website for information.