NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDEN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Guest Services Assistant
Position type: Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). This is a part time position that performs frontline visitor services functions by providing outstanding customer service and conducting Garden tours. Weekend and evening work required.
Description: The Guest Services Assistant is responsible for providing frontline coverage of the Information Desk and Tollbooth and conducting tram and boat tours. Shifts are 5-8 hours, up to 5 days per week. This position requires flexible availability.
Essential Functions: Primary responsibility is to ensure a quality guest experience by providing excellent customer service. Duties include but are not limited to: greeting all visitors, processing sales for admission/class registration/membership, safely operating tram and boat tours and creating an outstanding guest experience by suggesting how guests can structure their visit to the Garden. The Guest Services Assistant works with all other departments to ensure all visitors have a positive and memorable experience at the Garden. Weekend and evening shifts are required.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Should enjoy working with people and have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable speaking to large groups.
Other Requirements: Must have a valid driver’s license. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be 18 years old.
Daily Job Responsibilities:
- Greet and assist all guests.
- Utilize Altru database program to view calendar schedule and be prepared to relay pertinent information to participants as well as staff and the general public.
- Responsible for learning Altru software required for point of sale transactions as well as telephone switchboard and garden staff radio.
- Operate cash register; responsible for initial money and any money taken in during shift.
- Safely operate tram and boat tours.
- Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.).
- Assist with special events and outreaches.
- Duties take place inside and outside, in all weather conditions.
- Additional duties as required.
Reports to: Guest Services Manager and Director of Member & Guest Experience
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Click here to download an application (PDF).
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Youth Educator
Position Type: Seasonal Term Position. Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Description: Teach educational programming and perform functions related to World of Wonders Children’s Garden. Average weekly hours vary throughout the year; spring and summer terms average 20-35 hours per week. Weekend and some evening work required. Reports to Youth Education Coordinator.
Essential Function: School Term: Facilitate school, scout, family and birthday programs for children of all ages. Year Round: Present “Discovery” programs to visitors and help to ensure overall safety and customer satisfaction in the World of Wonders: A Children’s Adventure Garden. Youth educators work outdoors in all weather conditions and conduct outreaches for various groups, schools and organizations.
- Enthusiasm for environmental education and teaching.
- Ability to work outdoors in variable weather conditions on variable terrain, and with the natural setting of the Garden.
- Flexibility in daily job tasks.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, weekdays and weekends during shift.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team with minimal supervision.
Education and Experience
- Some college education preferred.
- Requires teaching (formal or informal) experience at the elementary and/or pre-school level. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred. State background check, valid driver’s license and proof of car insurance required.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Teach programs, on and off site, for groups of K-5th grade children, scouts, birthday parties and families programs following best practices. This includes all aspects of programming, including set up and clean up.
- Learn our educational curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objective of each program.
- Engage with the public using various props, WOW plants and natural materials.
- Encourage positive interactions between visitors and the Garden’s collection and wildlife.
- Set up, clean and organize stations in the Children’s Garden.
- Assist with research, curriculum development, and activity planning.
- Assists with family activities and evening Garden programs.
- Operate company vehicles such as, but not limited to, golf carts, outreach (passenger) van and pickup trucks.
- Ability to lift, push, pull 30 lbs. and stand for extended periods of time.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
Reports to: Youth Programs Coordinators
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Click here to download an application (PDF).
Send resume and application to email@example.com
Our friends at the Marigold & Honey Cafe are hiring. Please visit their website for information.