NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDEN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position: Guest Services Assistant/Garden Guide
Position type: Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Seasonal employment.
Description: The Garden Guide is responsible for safely operating trams and boats, conducting tours and providing frontline coverage of the Front Desk and Tollbooth. Shifts are 5-8 hours, fluctuating between 7:30AM-9:30 PM up to 4 days a week. This position requires flexible availability; weekend work is required.
Essential Functions: Primary responsibility is to provide excellent customer service. Duties include but are not limited to; safely operating trams and boats, conducting tours, highlighting membership benefits, creating an outstanding guest experience by suggesting how guests can structure their visit to the Garden. The Garden Guide works with all other departments to ensure visitors have a positive and memorable experience at the Garden.
Essential Physical Functions: Ability to work inside and outside, in all weather conditions. This position regularly requires the Garden Guide to sit for extended periods of time at a desk, using a computer with a keyboard, answering the phone and communicating via a radio. The position requires the ability to lift and move materials up to 40 pounds. Must be able to climb in and out of the tram. Ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can walk, stand, bend, twist and/or stoop. Ability to push and pull objects during the shift.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent is preferred. Should enjoy working with people and have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable speaking to large groups. Previous customer service and cash handling experience preferred. A solid basic understanding of computers is required.
Other Requirements: Valid driver’s license required and must be at least 18 years old.
Daily Job Responsibilities:
- Safely operate trams and boats while conducting tours.
- Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.).
- Greet and assist all guests.
- Responsible for learning Altru software required for point of sale transactions as well as telephone switchboard and garden staff radio.
- Utilize Altru database program to view calendar schedule and be prepared to relay pertinent information to class participants, members, staff and the general public.
- Operate cash register; responsible for initial money and any money taken in during shift.
- Assist with special event and outreaches.
- Additional duties as required.
Reports to: Guest Services Managers and Director of Member & Guest Experience
- Staff discounts on programming, gift shop & café.
- NBG logo wear for work provided.
- EAP services for all employees.
Equal Employer Opportunity (EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition including lactation, status as a veteran or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Download an application HERE. Send application and resume to email@example.com