Splash, play & learn about nature when you visit with your day care, summer camp, or other organization. All tours include time for your group in the WOW Children’s Garden with our splash pads and in the Butterfly House. Email us at email@example.com to book your tour. Youth group tour rates are subject to availability and must be booked in advance.
- Groups are asked to pay by check, credit card, or cash upon arrival at the tollbooth. Checks should be made payable to Norfolk Botanical Garden Society or NBGS. If paying with cash please have exact change.
- Cost: $9.00/child ages 3-17; $10.00 per adult chaperone, NBG members may chaperone free of charge. An organization must 12 or more children to qualify for the group rate.
- Teachers, bus drivers, and school staff receive complimentary admission to the Garden.
- All participants receiving the reduced rate must be covered in one payment from the organization. Please collect all payments before your arrival.
- We do not issue refunds for overpayment. Please write checks for the correct amount of confirmed participants. Group totals may be adjusted up to one week before your visit date.
- Bus parking is located in the back left corner of the parking lot. Please direct your bus drivers to park and unload the students in this location. Do not unload in front of the Baker Hall Visitor Center. A staff member will meet you in the parking lot to direct your group the proper location to begin your visit.
- All activities are outdoors. Please remind students to wear appropriate clothing for walking and weather conditions. In extreme weather conditions, outdoor programs can be rescheduled.
- Please provide the Garden with 24 hour notice of cancellations. If you fail to cancel without 24 hour notice your organization will be required to pay in full when pre-registering in the future.
“Know Before You Go”
- Children must come to the Garden wearing appropriate clothing (shoes, shirts, and bottoms.) Children may have swimwear uncovered ONLY while in the Children’s Garden. Shoes are required outside of the Children’s Garden fountains.
- When your program is confirmed, you will receive a designated time to visit the World of Wonders (WOW) Children’s Garden. During this time you may enjoy the splash fountains, a take home craft, and time to explore our 3 acre World of Wonder Garden.
- Summer Children’s Education Guided and Self-Guided Tours will have access to the Public Tram Tours on a first-come first-serve basis. Trams are scheduled to leave the front of the Baker Hall Visitor Center on the hour. Tram seats cannot be guaranteed and your entire group must be present in line to wait for seats. The WOW Children’s Garden is a short 10-15 minute walk from the Bus Parking area. We encourage groups to walk to ensure that they are able to enjoy all of their allotted time in the WOW Children’s Garden.
- Picnics are permitted in the Garden. We recommend you plan for a “picnic-blanket” style lunch on any grassy area. The airport berm overlooking Norfolk International Airport is also a great area to picnic.
- Teachers and chaperones are responsible for students’ behavior, any disciplinary actions, and or first aid required during their visit.
- Dress appropriately for your visit. Children must wear clothing over swimsuits and shoes outside of the WOW Children’s Garden splash fountains.
WOW Children’s Garden
Splash Fountains Rules
- Please wear appropriate clothing/swimwear.
- Clothing and diaper changing areas are located in the Yurt.
- Children who aren’t toilet trained must wear swim diapers. All diapers, including swim diapers, must be covered with another article of clothing.
- Persons having skin eruptions, abrasions, sore or infected eyes, nasal or ear discharge, a cold or other communicable disease may not enter the splash fountains.
- Spitting, spouting water, blowing the nose, urinating or defecating in the splash fountains is prohibited.
- Do not enter splash fountains during inclement weather.
Special Information for large groups:
- We recommend for large groups that you break into groups of 25 students or less at a time to enjoy the splash fountains.
- Please ask children not to run in the fountains and to be aware of other guests enjoying the Garden.
- When you arrive, we will provide an orientation and suggested itinerary. There may be other large groups visiting the garden and we will suggest time for the fountains for your group to avoid overlapping as much as possible.
- Staff/chaperones from your organization are responsible for children’s behavior at all times.
Butterfly House Guidelines
- Enter the butterfly house in small groups of 20 persons max. Before you enter, please go over these rules with your group:
- Please do not pick any parts of plants.
- Please do not touch the butterflies.
- Leave strollers outside.
- Open only one door at a time at the entrance/exit. Stay on designated paths.
- No running or horseplay in the butterfly house.
Upgrade your visit!
Book a Classroom to Enjoy During Your Summer Group Visit
Book a classroom in the WOW Children’s Garden for two hours, to have your own space to access the World of Wonders (WOW) Children’s Garden (Tuesday-Thursday) based on availability). Classroom capacity is 35 people. Rental of the classroom lengthens the time you are allotted in WOW.
Cost: $100/ 2-hour rental in addition to Group Rate or Guided Tour fees.
Summer 2019 “Hip Habitats & Happening Homes” Guided Tour
On this guided tour learn about the habitats of plants and animals. The cost includes access to the World of Wonders Children’s Garden, a take home container garden with weird seeds for each child, and a one-hour guided tour. Groups can also enjoy access to our Public Tram tours (first-come, first-serve)
- Cost: $12/child (ages 3+)
- Teachers and School Staff are free. Additional parents/chaperones are $12.00/person. Minimum fee of $180 (15 children) required to qualify for guided group reservation.
- Guided Summer Children’s Education Tour Reservations are available Tuesday- Thursday mornings at 9:30, 10:30 and 11:30 AM. Reservations must be booked at least three business-days in advance of arrival date and are subject to availability.