Book a self-guided learning experience for your family at NBG!
Take a break from learning in place to complete a self-guided learning adventure during your next visit to Norfolk Botanical Garden! All of our activities are Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) aligned, and are designed to assist your child with understanding the science concepts covered during their virtual learning lessons, while providing an opportunity for families to learn and grow together.
These programs are also great resources for homeschool families!
To schedule a self-guided program, please email the following information to email@example.com:
- Your name.
- Your contact information – address, phone number, email.
- Reservation date and time preferences.
- The name of the program you would like to complete (see programs below).
- The number of children and parent chaperones planning to attend (see pricing below).
- The grade level of the student(s) – if applicable.
- The school the student(s) attends – if applicable.
Note: All self-guided programs must be scheduled a week before the intended visit date. Pre-registration is required. Walk-up registration is not permitted for self-guided programs.
Self-Guided Program Pricing
- $9 for first child age 3-17, $5 for each additional student/child age 3-17 for NBG Members. Includes program materials. NBG adult members may chaperone free of charge.
- $12 for first child age 3-17, $8 for each additional student/child age 3-17 for Not-Yet-Members. Includes program materials and Garden admission for each child.
- $10/Adult Chaperone for Not-Yet-Members. This is a reduced rate from regular Garden admission.
Self-Guided Program Descriptions
The following hands-on learning experiences will be offered through Winter 2021!
Winter in the Garden (All Ages)
Visit the Tropical Display House to learn about plant adaptations, and then observe bird behaviors, start an herb Garden, learn about animals native to Virginia, and more as you explore Norfolk Botanical Garden in the winter. Each learning kit includes an activity booklet, an air plant, markers, and a herb garden starter kit.
More programs coming soon!
ADDITIONAL BOOKING INFORMATION
- Participants are asked to pay by check, credit card, or cash upon arrival at the Garden. Checks should be made payable to Norfolk Botanical Garden. If paying with cash, please have exact change.
- Upon arrival, a staff member will meet you at the Baker Hall Visitor Center to assist with payment, provide the self-guided program materials, as well as a map and walking directions, and answer any/all questions relating to the self-guided program.
- All activities are outdoors. Please remember to wear appropriate clothing for walking and weather conditions. In extreme weather conditions, outdoor programs can be rescheduled.
- All visits must be pre-scheduled before visiting the Garden. Please provide the Garden with 24 hour notice of cancellations.
- Picnics are permitted in the Garden. We recommend you plan for a “picnic-blanket” style lunch on any grassy area.
- Adult chaperones are responsible for students’ behavior, any disciplinary actions, and/or first aid required during their visit.