Book a self-guided learning experience at NBG!
Schedule your student to complete a self-guided learning activity during your next visit to Norfolk Botanical Garden! All of our program activities are Virginia Standard of Learning (SOL) aligned, and designed to assist your student with understanding the science concepts covered during their virtual learning lessons.
Homeschool families are more than welcome to also sign up for these programs!
To schedule a self-guided school program, please email the following information to email@example.com:
- Your name.
- Your contact information – address, phone number, email.
- Reservation date and time preferences.
- The name of the program you would like to complete (see programs below).
- The number of students and parent chaperones planning to attend (see pricing below).
- The grade level of the student(s).
- The school the student(s) attends.
Note: All programs must be scheduled at least a week before the intended visit date. Pre-registration is required. Walk-up registration is not permitted for self-guided school programs.
Self-Guided Program Pricing
- $8/student for NBG Members. NBG adult members may chaperone free of charge.
- $12/student for Not-Yet-Members. Includes program materials and Garden admission for the student.
- $10/Adult Chaperone and Sibling Tag-Alongs for Not-Yet-Members. This is a reduced school program rate from regular Garden admission.
Self-Guided Program Descriptions
The following hands-on learning experiences will be offered through Fall 2020!
Review the plant life cycle and the differences between a map and a globe, and then plant seeds to take home. VA Science SOL: K.1, K.3, K.5, K.6, K.7, K.8, K.9, K.10, K.11. VA Geography SOL: K.4, K.5, K.6.
1st & 2nd Grade
Review information relating to weather, temperature, precipitation and seasonal changes. VA Science SOL: 1.7, 2.7.
Explore different areas of the Garden to learn about plants as natural resources. VA Science SOL: 2.8.
Practice cloud identification, and then review the differences between weather and climate, and how both affect ecosystems. VA Science SOL: 4.4.
ADDITIONAL BOOKING INFORMATION
- Participants are asked to pay by check, credit card, or cash upon arrival at the Garden. Checks should be made payable to Norfolk Botanical Garden. If paying with cash, please have exact change.
- Upon arrival, a staff member will meet you at the Baker Hall Visitor Center to assist with payment, provide the self-guided program materials, as well as a map and walking directions, and answer any/all questions relating to the self-guided program.
- All activities are outdoors. Please remember to wear appropriate clothing for walking and weather conditions. In extreme weather conditions, outdoor programs can be rescheduled.
- All visits must be pre-scheduled before visiting the Garden. Please provide the Garden with 24 hour notice of cancellations.
- Picnics are permitted in the Garden. We recommend you plan for a “picnic-blanket” style lunch on any grassy area.
- Adult chaperones are responsible for students’ behavior, any disciplinary actions, and/or first aid required during their visit.