Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position type: Full-time employment, 40 hours per week.
Description: Performs all aspects of display bed maintenance in the assigned area to set a standard of horticulture excellence.
Essential Functions: Maintains horticulture beds and collections through weeding, watering, pruning, dead-heading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application. Areas of responsibility include Flowering Arboretum, Holly Garden, Winter Garden, North Canal and Propagation / Greenhouse landscaped areas. Other responsibilities include supervising Seasonal staff and volunteers. Writes articles for the newsletter, assists in teaching classes and supports special events as requested. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and/or lift 50 pounds during working hours.
Education and Experience: Requires an Associate’s degree in Horticulture or a related field and 2 years of hands on experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field and 1 year of hands on experience. Requires good communication and organizational skills. Must have or obtain a Virginia Registered Technician pesticide license within 6 months of hiring. Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license. Experience with chainsaws and tree removal highly desirable. Experience with the operation of tractors, forklifts, skid steers, and front end loaders a plus.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking and fertilization.
- Prepares and submits label requests and plant removal requests to the Curator of Woody Plants.
- Must monitor assigned area for insect, disease and weed problems, find the appropriate solutions and carry out the treatment.
- Performs the appropriate soil preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees.
- Develop and expand an in-depth knowledge of herbaceous and woody plants under his/her care, make plant selection suggestions, and assist the Curator in locating desirable additions to the botanical collection.
- Operates small and large engine equipment safely. (Golf cart, weed-eater, blower, truck, tractor, etc.)
- Works alongside other members of the Woody Plants team and Horticulture Department in team projects. The ability to work in a team environment is essential.
- Cleans, and uses hand tools and equipment responsibly.
- Writes at least 1 article for the newsletter and/or teaches 1 educational class/tour per year.
- Assists with special events and other duties as assigned.
- Gives clear instructions and trains their assigned Gardener’s Assistant to perform the basic necessary tasks in assigned area when ill, on vacation or attending meetings.
- Assists with the selection and evaluation of Gardener’s Assistant.
Salary range: $24,960.00-$29,120 annually
Reports to: Curator of Woody Plants
Submit Resume to: email@example.com
Description: This is a full time position that performs all aspects of grounds maintenance and landscaping.
Essential Functions: Performs grounds maintenance tasks including mowing, trimming, blowing, edging, fertilizing, pesticide application, turf installation, water feature care, road cleaning, irrigation repair and installation, tree removal, litter and garbage pickup, landscaping, and other related tasks. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and/or lift 50 pounds during working hours.
Requirements: Must be 18 or older with valid Virginia driver’s license. Applicant must obtain a Virginia Registered Technician Pesticide Applicators license within six months of hiring. A minimum of 3 years grounds maintenance experience preferred
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Performs all aspects of turf care
- Pesticide application
- Irrigation installation and repair.
- Water feature care.
- Roadway cleaning.
- Landscape installation.
- Operate small and large power equipment safely.
- Cleans and uses equipment responsibly.
- Assists with special events and other duties as assigned
Reports to: Grounds Manager
Send application or resume to Joe.Foreman@nbgs.org
Position: Wedding Coordinator
Description: seasonal 40 hour position with the possibility of full-time employment after 3 month review. Norfolk Botanical Gardens is seeking a highly motivated sales driven candidate to book and execute weddings at one of Hampton Roads most beautiful venues! This is a great opportunity in a highly competitive and exclusive job market!
- Manage all wedding and social business as directed by the wedding director.
- Have full knowledge of all events providing coordination of ceremonies, receptions, all wedding related and social events whether on or off garden grounds.
- Monitor client deposits and ensure final estimated payment is collected before the wedding event and ensure billing is accurate prior to sending the final to the client.
- Sell and up sell food & beverage, and amenity to the clients.
- Maintain departmental consistency through the forms and systems provided for the department.
- Attend weekly departmental meetings and appropriate in-house meetings.
- Maintain detailed, accurate files in order to service guest and garden in the most expedient and knowledgeable manner.
- Keep current and proactive with phone and email correspondence.
- Maintain an excellent working relationship with team members at all levels of the garden to maintain morale.
- Keep well versed on all food and beverage menus, procedures, and guidelines.
- Represents themselves and the garden with the highest level of integrity and professionalism, a service focused approach with caring, sincere attitude.
- Give property tour to prospective and contracted clients and vendors. Personally greet all contacts upon arrival, finalizing all arrangements and orienting the client and vendors.
- Assist in organizing and crafting Editorial Photo Shoots for publications.
- Other delegated tasks assigned by management.
Education: A minimum formal high school education or GED with college degree highly preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years prior experience as a wedding event planner or sales coordinator.
- Industry experience in hospitality or client-centric professional services highly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills both Written and Verbal
- Computer Literate; Prefer Strong Microsoft Office proficiency
- Warm, personable and energetic demeanor and professional attire is a must
- Exceptional attention to details.
- Handles multiple priorities effectively
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and long hours and consecutive weekends during prime wedding months.
- Must be able to pass a drug test
- Must have eligibility to work in the U.S
Reports to: Wedding Director Apply to: Rodyan Quinonez Rodyan.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Facilities Assistant
Description: This is a full time 40 hours per week position that performs general building maintenance, minor equipment maintenance and repair, custodial work, and event setup. Additional duties as assigned. Reports to Facilities Shift Supervisor.
Essential Functions: Must be able to work independently, be self-motivating, and customer service oriented. Experience with electrical, plumbing, or carpentry a plus but aptitude and willingness to learn is acceptable.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Other Requirements: Must be willing to work 8 hour swing shifts from 6:00am-12:00am, 7 days a week. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold, or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull, and/or lift 50 pounds. Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license.
Pay: Commensurate with applicants’ knowledge or experience.
Send completed Norfolk Botanical Garden application (available online at www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org) to the attention of Don Brown at email Don.Brown@nbgs.org or by mail to the address below. No phone calls or visits please.
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Attn: Don Brown
6700 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk, VA 23518
There are no part-time positions available at this time.
Position: Youth Educator
Description: Seasonal Term position.
School Term: September-May; Summer Term: June-August
Average weekly hours vary throughout the year; Spring and Summer Terms averages 20-35 hours per week. At least three weekend day shifts per month required.
The Norfolk Botanical Garden Youth Education seeks Educators who are creative, energetic, flexible and passionate about environmental education.
School Term: Facilitate school, scout, family and birthday programs for children to age 12.
Year Round: Present “Discovery” programs to visitors and help to ensure overall safety and customer satisfaction in the World of Wonders: A Children’s Adventure Garden.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct school programs both on-site and for outreaches in area schools.
The World of Wonders Children’s Garden:
• Educate the public using various props, WOW plants and natural materials.
• Orient visitors to Children’s Garden map, guidelines and activities.
• Encourage families to have positives interactions with WOW materials, plants and properties.
• Perform cleaning duties to ensure an attractive and sanitary work environment.
• Educate visitors about current special exhibits.
• Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
Family, Scout and Birthday Programs:
• Lead Birthday programs for children ages 5-10. Assist families in hosting parties.
• Lead Girl Scout and Boy Scout Badge programs.
• Lead night hikes, songs and games for evening events.
Reports to: Director of Youth Education. Send resumes and NBG Application to email@example.com
Description: This is a term position that performs front line visitor services functions. Term lasts March-October. Possible intermittent work October – January.
Essential Functions: Conduct garden tours and programs for the general public and relay general visitor information.
This is a front-line visitor services job with high visibility. As a Tour Guide, you serve as the face of Norfolk Botanical Garden and should at all times present a highly professional demeanor.
Education and Experience: Requires excellent oral, written and customer service skills. Applicants must be creative and have the ability to work independently. Must also enjoy working with people and the ability to speak to large groups is essential. Weekend and evening work required.
• College experience required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Requires teaching experience at the elementary or pre-school level. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred.
• Pre-screening drug test, state background check, social security card and valid driver’s license required.
Other Requirements: Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct tram and boat tours
• Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.)
• Greet and help orient visitors
• Respond to visitor inquiries
• Assist with special event tour related activities
• Work evenings for Dominion Garden of Lights (November – December) as assigned
• Assist Public Program Coordinator(s) with other duties as assigned
Reports to: Public Program Coordinator(s)
Submit application to: Public Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or Visitor Center front desk.