Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
(There are no full time positions available at this time.)
Position: Youth Programs Coordinator
Description: Part-time Year-round Position
The Norfolk Botanical Garden Youth Education Department seeks individuals who are creative, energetic, flexible and passionate about environmental education. In all programs we strive to create an educational and fun environment for experiential learning. Must be willing to work outdoors various weather conditions.
Essential Function: School Term: Plan, coordinate and facilitate school, scout, family and birthday programs for children to age 12 and staff our WOW Children’s Garden.
- Tuesday through Saturday, June through March
- Monday through Friday, April and May
- 40 hours/week for eight months a year and 20-30 hours per week for four months a year. Must have a highly flexible schedule and be available evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field required;
- Requires teaching experience at the elementary and/or pre-school level and knowledge of the State Standards of Learning. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred. Professional experience teaching in a public/private school or educational institution highly preferred.
- Pre-screening drug test, state background check, social security card and valid driver’s license required.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Create, conduct and coordinate school programs correlated to the Virginia Standards of Learning for all onsite fieldtrips and offsite outreach programs.
- Facilitate group visits from arrival, to staff assignments, activity rotation, and departure for each program.
- Coordinate and conduct use of the NBG Education Van for outreach programs. Attend outreaches as needed.
- Communicate with other departments about daily activities including trams with Tour Operations and Horticulture department.
- Train and evaluate youth educators on guided programs and activities.
- Serve as contact for all school marketing and mailings.
- Organize and review all supplies needed for school programs and outreach programs.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
- Responsible for bookings, logistics, details, supplies for youth birthday parties at Children’s Garden
World of Wonders Children’s Garden
- Orient visitors to WOW Children’s Garden rules and activities, insure Youth Educators are providing friendly and positive customer service to guests.
- Oversee functions in the WOW Children’s Garden, staff interactions with visitors, daily activities, and scheduled programming, and emergency procedures.
- Communicate with other departments about safety issues and necessary repairs to the children’s garden amenities and features.
- Create interactive programs for families in the garden, including crafts, nature activities, and guided lessons.
- Lead “Garden Night Adventures” and other evening programs.
- Work as a team to plan and implement winter program in conjunction with the Dominion Garden of Lights Holiday Programming.
Reports to: Youth Programs Manager. Send resumes and NBG Application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Security Guard
(part time/full time) Immediate Opening
Description: Maintains security of all buildings and spaces in the gardens. Ability to perform emergency repair and preventive maintenance of buildings, utilities, roads, equipment, and vehicles a plus.
Essential Functions: Maintain surveillance throughout the garden while on duty, diplomatically enforce the rules of garden etiquette, maintain peace and order, react to crisis situations and keep a safety and fire watch at all times. Conduct emergency or routine maintenance actions/repairs for carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical, and/or mechanical at the direction of the maintenance manager as needed.
Education and experience: Requires high school diploma or equivalent technical certificate and 3-5 years experience in security policy and procedures. Exhibits good communications skills and has the ability to follow written and oral instructions. Hold a valid Virginia driver’s licenses and have a good driving record. Knowledge and/or expertise in the building trades: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, or HVAC desirable. Must pass a drug screen and background check.
Specific job responsibilities:
1. Patrol all grounds. Report security or safety hazards.
2. Open and close garden gates to public, making sure all visitors have departed at closing time.
3. Check all buildings to ensure windows and doors are locked and lights are off.
4. Defuse dangerous situations. Contact City of Norfolk police if necessary.
5. Enforce garden rules and regulations.
6. Investigate and prepare reports of all accidents or security incidents.
7. Call City of Norfolk paramedics for assistance in injuries to garden visitors or employees.
8. Assist other garden personnel in special events or projects.
9. Work flexible hours: days, nights, weekends, holidays.
10. Ability to provide emergency/preventive maintenance and/or repairs of buildings, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and HVAC systems as needed.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Salary: $8.50-$9.50 commensurate with experience
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
Contact: Jay C Miller, Maintenance Manager
Norfolk Botanical Garden
6700 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk, Virginia 23518-5337
(757).441.5830 x 360
Description: This is a term position that performs front line visitor services functions. Term lasts March-October. Possible intermittent work October – January.
Essential Functions: Conduct garden tours and programs for the general public and relay general visitor information.
This is a front-line visitor services job with high visibility. As a Tour Guide, you serve as the face of Norfolk Botanical Garden and should at all times present a highly professional demeanor.
Education and Experience: Requires excellent oral, written and customer service skills. Applicants must be creative and have the ability to work independently. Must also enjoy working with people and the ability to speak to large groups is essential. Weekend and evening work required.
Other Requirements: Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Pay: $7.25 an hour
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct tram and boat tours
• Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.)
• Greet and help orient visitors
• Respond to visitor inquiries
• Assist with special event tour related activities
• Work evenings for Dominion Garden of Lights (November – December) as assigned
• Assist Public Program Coordinator(s) with other duties as assigned
Reports to: Public Program Coordinator(s)
Submit application to: Public Program Coordinator at email@example.com or Visitor Center front desk.
Position: Youth Educator
Description: Seasonal Term position.
School Term: September-May; Summer Term: June-August
Average weekly hours vary throughout the year; Spring and Summer Terms averages 20-35 hours per week. At least three weekend day shifts per month required.
The Norfolk Botanical Garden Youth Education seeks Educators who are creative, energetic, flexible and passionate about environmental education. This position is both educational and customer service based. In all programs we strive to create an educational and fun environment for experiential learning. Educators must be willing to work primarily outdoors.
School Term: Facilitate school, scout, family and birthday programs for children to age 12.
Year Round: Present “Discovery” programs to visitors and help to ensure overall safety and customer satisfaction in the World of Wonders: A Children’s Adventure Garden.
• College experience required. Bachelor’s Degree
• Requires teaching experience at the elementary or pre-school level. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred.
• Pre-screening drug test, state background check, social security card and valid driver’s license required.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
School Programs (March-June) are Monday-Friday from 9AM-1PM
• Conduct school programs both on-site and for outreaches in area schools.
The World of Wonders Children’s Garden is open daily from 9AM-7PM
• Educate the public using various props, WOW plants and natural materials.
• Orient visitors to Children’s Garden map, guidelines and activities. Enforce guidelines.
• Encourage families to have positives interactions with WOW materials, plants and properties.
• Perform cleaning duties to ensure a sanitary work environment.
• Educate visitors about current special exhibits.
• Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
Family, Scout and Birthday Programs take place primarily in evenings and on weekends
• Lead Birthday programs for children ages 5-10. Assist families in hosting parties.
• Lead Girl Scout and Boy Scout Badge programs.
• Lead night hikes, songs and games for evening events.
Reports to: Youth Programs Managers. Send resumes and NBG Application to firstname.lastname@example.org