Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position: Facilities Assistant
Description: This is a full time 40 hours per week position that performs general building maintenance, minor equipment maintenance and repair, custodial work, and event setup. Additional duties as assigned. Reports to Facilities Shift Supervisor.
Essential Functions: Must be able to work independently, be self-motivating, and customer service oriented. Experience with electrical, plumbing, or carpentry a plus but aptitude and willingness to learn is acceptable.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Other Requirements: Must be willing to work 8 hour swing shifts from 6:00am-12:00am, 7 days a week. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold, or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull, and/or lift 50 pounds. Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license.
Pay: Commensurate with applicants’ knowledge or experience.
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Attn: Don Brown
6700 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk, VA 23518
No phone calls or visits please.
(There are no part-time positions available at this time)
Description: This is a term position that performs front line visitor services functions. Term lasts March-October. Possible intermittent work October – January.
Essential Functions: Conduct garden tours and programs for the general public and relay general visitor information.
This is a front-line visitor services job with high visibility. As a Tour Guide, you serve as the face of Norfolk Botanical Garden and should at all times present a highly professional demeanor.
Education and Experience: Requires excellent oral, written and customer service skills. Applicants must be creative and have the ability to work independently. Must also enjoy working with people and the ability to speak to large groups is essential. Weekend and evening work required.
Other Requirements: Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Pay: $7.25 an hour
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct tram and boat tours
• Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.)
• Greet and help orient visitors
• Respond to visitor inquiries
• Assist with special event tour related activities
• Work evenings for Dominion Garden of Lights (November – December) as assigned
• Assist Public Program Coordinator(s) with other duties as assigned
Reports to: Public Program Coordinator(s)
Submit application to: Public Program Coordinator at email@example.com or Visitor Center front desk.
Position: Youth Educator
Description: Seasonal Term position.
School Term: September-May; Summer Term: June-August
Average weekly hours vary throughout the year; Spring and Summer Terms averages 20-35 hours per week. At least three weekend day shifts per month required.
The Norfolk Botanical Garden Youth Education seeks Educators who are creative, energetic, flexible and passionate about environmental education. This position is both educational and customer service based. In all programs we strive to create an educational and fun environment for experiential learning. Educators must be willing to work primarily outdoors.
School Term: Facilitate school, scout, family and birthday programs for children to age 12.
Year Round: Present “Discovery” programs to visitors and help to ensure overall safety and customer satisfaction in the World of Wonders: A Children’s Adventure Garden.
• College experience required. Bachelor’s Degree
• Requires teaching experience at the elementary or pre-school level. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred.
• Pre-screening drug test, state background check, social security card and valid driver’s license required.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
School Programs (March-June) are Monday-Friday from 9AM-1PM
• Conduct school programs both on-site and for outreaches in area schools.
The World of Wonders Children’s Garden is open daily from 9AM-7PM
• Educate the public using various props, WOW plants and natural materials.
• Orient visitors to Children’s Garden map, guidelines and activities. Enforce guidelines.
• Encourage families to have positives interactions with WOW materials, plants and properties.
• Perform cleaning duties to ensure a sanitary work environment.
• Educate visitors about current special exhibits.
• Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
Family, Scout and Birthday Programs take place primarily in evenings and on weekends
• Lead Birthday programs for children ages 5-10. Assist families in hosting parties.
• Lead Girl Scout and Boy Scout Badge programs.
• Lead night hikes, songs and games for evening events.
Reports to: Youth Programs Managers. Send resumes and NBG Application to firstname.lastname@example.org