Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position type: Full time hourly employee, 40 hours per week.
Description: Performs all aspects of display bed maintenance in the assigned area to set a standard of horticulture excellence.
Essential Functions: Maintains horticulture beds and collections through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application. Areas of responsibility include the Rose Garden Bridge, Airport Berm & Ramp, Main Parking Lot, Japanese Garden, Circle Garden, Mayor’s Row and Vine Arbor. Other responsibilities include supervising assigned Gardener’s assistants and volunteers. Assists in teaching classes and supports special events as requested. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and perform manual labor during working hours.
Education and Experience: Requires an Associate’s degree in Horticulture or a related field and 2 years of hands on experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field and 1 year of hands on experience. Requires good communication and organizational skills. Must have or obtain a Virginia Registered Technician pesticide license within 6 months of hiring. Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license. Experience with heavy machinery such as tractors, forklifts, skid steers, and front end loaders a plus. A knowledge of and/or experience with the specialized pruning requirements of Japanese Gardens is a plus.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains collections and display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application.
- Prepares and submits label and plant removal requests to the Curator of Herbaceous Plants.
- Must monitor assigned area for insect, disease and weed problems, find the appropriate solutions and carry out the treatment.
- Performs the appropriate soil preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees.
- Operates small and large engine equipment safely. (golf cart, weed-eater, blower, edger, truck, tractor, etc.)
- Cleans, and uses hand tools and equipment responsibly.
- Gives clear instructions and trains their assigned Gardener’s Assistant to perform the basic necessary tasks in assigned area when ill, on vacation or attending staff meetings.
- Works alongside other members of the Herbaceous Plants team and Horticulture Department in team projects. The ability to work well within a team environment is essential.
- Assists with the selection and evaluation of Horticulturist Assistants.
- Assists with special events, newsletter articles, outreach opportunities, lectures, tours, team projects, and other duties as assigned.
Salary range: $25,000-$32,000.00 with benefits package
Reports to: Curator of Herbaceous Plants
Submit resume and application to: Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Facilities Assistant
Description: This is a full-time 40 hours per week position that performs general building maintenance, minor equipment maintenance and repair, custodial work, and event setup. Additional duties as assigned. Reports to Facilities Shift Supervisor.
Essential Functions: Must be able to work independently, be self-motivating, and customer service oriented. Experience with electrical, plumbing, or carpentry a plus but aptitude and willingness to learn is acceptable.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Other Requirements: Must be willing to work primarily Friday-Tuesday either morning or evening shift. Schedule subject to Garden needs. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold, or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull, and perform manual labor for 8 hours. Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license.
Pay: Commensurate with applicants’ knowledge or experience.
Send completed Norfolk Botanical Garden application (available online at www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org) to the attention of Amanda Wells at email Amanda.Wells@nbgs.org or by mail to the address below. No phone calls or visits please.
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Attn: Amanda Wells
6700 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk, VA 23518
Position: Light/Parking Crew
Classification: Nonexempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA).
Salary: $8.00 per hour.
Position type and expected hours of work: This is a seasonal position from September to February. 40 hours a week with a shifting schedule during show.
Summary/objective: Norfolk Botanical Garden is seeking Light/Parking Crew team members to install and maintain outdoor lights for holiday events. The team member must be able to follow established holiday light installation plans and procedures.
- To assist with installation of outdoor light displays and maintaining lights during show.
- Replace light bulbs that are burned out, broken or missing.
- Report any items in need of repair to supervisor.
- Must be able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Care for and ability to use all issued equipment such as: hand tools, hammers, safety belts/vests, safety glasses, etc.
- Must be willing and able to stand for entire shift.
- Working on a ladder is expected.
- Must be able to bend, twist, turn, stoop, push, pull and reach high and low to complete all job functions. Ability to hear, listen, speak and have depth perception required.
- Experience operating an aerial lift and comfort working at heights up to 80 feet a plus.
- Able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Able to maintain dependable work attendance and flexibility with assigned work schedules including required evenings, weekends and holidays.
- During portions of show, employee may be expected to work as part of the parking crew.
- Able to perform other duties as assigned.
Download a Job Application here
- Employment Application-simple form (PDF format)
- Application for employment- fillable form
- Application Form in Microsoft Word