The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting. All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position: Gardener – Rose Specialist
Position type: Full time hourly employee, 40 hours per week.
Description: Performs all aspects of display bed maintenance in the assigned area to set a standard of horticulture excellence for the Hampton Roads area.
Essential Functions: Maintains Bicentennial Rose Garden and surrounding areas such as the Parking Lot and Airport Berm Gardens. The Bicentennial Rose Garden was installed in 1976 and has matured to over 3000 plants garden wide. This garden requires the highest of horticulture standards and will be maintained in this manner. Other responsibilities include maintaining all horticulture beds and collections through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application. Supervises assigned Gardener’s assistants and volunteers. Works closely with children and the education department. Writes articles for the newsletter, assists in teaching classes and supports special events as requested. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and/or lift a 50 pound bag of fertilizer during working hours.
Education and Experience: Requires an Associate’s degree in Horticulture or a related field and 3 years of hands on experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field and 1 year of hands on experience. Those with additional education or experience may be considered. Requires good communication and organizational skills. Must have or obtain a Virginia Registered Technician pesticide license within 6 months of hiring. Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains major woody collections.
- Prepares and submits label requests and plant removal requests to the Curator of Woody Plants.
- Maintains display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging raking and fertilization.
- Must monitor assigned area for insect, disease and weed problems, find the appropriate solutions and carry out the treatment.
- Performs the appropriate soil preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees.
- Operates small engine equipment safely. (golf cart, weed-eater, blower, edger, etc.)
- Cleans, and uses hand tools and equipment responsibly.
- Operates large motorized equipment safely. (truck, tractor, trailer, etc.)
- Gives clear instructions and trains their assigned Gardener’s Assistant to perform the basic necessary tasks in assigned area when ill, on vacation or attending staff meetings.
- Writes 1 article for the newsletter per year.
- Assists with special events and other duties as assigned.
- Works closely with volunteers.
- Works alongside other members of the Herbaceous Department and Horticulture Department in team projects. The ability to work in a team environment is essential.
Reports to: Curator of Woody Plants
Submit Resume to: email@example.com or fax to 757-441-5825, attn Brian O’Neil.
There are no part-time positions at this time.
There are no seasonal positions at this time.