Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position: Facilities Assistant
Description: This is a full-time 40 hours per week position that performs general building maintenance, minor equipment maintenance and repair, custodial work, and event setup. Additional duties as assigned. Reports to Facilities Shift Supervisor.
Essential Functions: Must be able to work independently, be self-motivating, and customer service oriented. Experience with electrical, plumbing, or carpentry a plus but aptitude and willingness to learn is acceptable.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Other Requirements: Must be willing to work primarily Friday-Tuesday either morning or evening shift. Schedule subject to Garden needs. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold, or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull, and perform manual labor for 8 hours. Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license.
Pay: Commensurate with applicants’ knowledge or experience.
Send completed Norfolk Botanical Garden application (available online at www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org) to the attention of Amanda Wells at email Amanda.Wells@nbgs.org or by mail to the address below. No phone calls or visits please.
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Attn: Amanda Wells
6700 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk, VA 23518
Position: Light/Parking Crew
Classification: Nonexempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA).
Salary: $8.00 per hour.
Position type and expected hours of work: This is a seasonal position from September to February. 40 hours a week with a shifting schedule during show.
Summary/objective: Norfolk Botanical Garden is seeking Light/Parking Crew team members to install and maintain outdoor lights for holiday events. The team member must be able to follow established holiday light installation plans and procedures.
- To assist with installation of outdoor light displays and maintaining lights during show.
- Replace light bulbs that are burned out, broken or missing.
- Report any items in need of repair to supervisor.
- Must be able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Care for and ability to use all issued equipment such as: hand tools, hammers, safety belts/vests, safety glasses, etc.
- Must be willing and able to stand for entire shift.
- Working on a ladder is expected.
- Must be able to bend, twist, turn, stoop, push, pull and reach high and low to complete all job functions. Ability to hear, listen, speak and have depth perception required.
- Experience operating an aerial lift and comfort working at heights up to 80 feet a plus.
- Able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Able to maintain dependable work attendance and flexibility with assigned work schedules including required evenings, weekends and holidays.
- During portions of show, employee may be expected to work as part of the parking crew.
- Able to perform other duties as assigned.
Download a Job Application here
- Employment Application-simple form (PDF format)
- Application for employment- fillable form
- Application Form in Microsoft Word
The Marigold & Honey Cafe is now hiring.
This position is employed through the Marigold & Honey Cafe and not by Norfolk Botanical Garden.
Position: Café Team Member (full-time or part-time), year-round
Description: Are you someone who loves to make others smile? Do you have a passion for food? If so, then apply to be a Café Team Member! The Marigold & Honey Café is seeking self-motivated individuals with exceptional customer service skills to join our team. While food service experience is preferred, it’s not a requirement as we provide on-site training to all employees. We’re open seven days a week from 11am-4pm and for special events. We’re flexible on hours, but a typical shift is 10am-5pm; special event times vary.
Specific Duties Include:
-Operating cash register
-Preparing and assembling food for customers
-Dispensing beverages and making smoothies
-Maintaining workspace in accordance with local health code
-Manning food cart
-Restocking food cart
-Making food deliveries (throughout the garden)
-Setting up for special events
-Cleaning guest seating area and bathrooms
-Changing table linens
-A demonstrated history of exceptional customer service
-A willingness to learn and grow as part of a close-knit team
-Attention to detail
-Ability to multi-task
-Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
-An interest in Norfolk Botanical Garden and its mission
-Food Handlers Certificate (you must obtain this prior to your first day of work)
Compensation: Hourly wage based on experience
For more information + employment application go to http://www.marigoldandhoney.com/employment.html