Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
There are no full-time positions available at this time.
There are no part-time positions available at this time.
Position: Visitor Services Assistant
This is a term position that offers part time hours. The shifts are 5-8 hours 3-4 days a week. Weekends are required.
Description: The Visitor Services Assistant is responsible for managing the information desk and lobby area in Baker Hall Visitor Center and the Toll Booth.
Essential Functions: Primary responsibility is to greet all visitors, handle admissions and membership sales, to facilitate their visit by providing directions, highlighting programs and garden areas of interest, and suggesting how to structure their visit to the Garden. The Visitor Services Assistant will work with all other departments to ensure all visitors have a positive experience at the Garden.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Should enjoy working with people and have customer service experience. Should also be comfortable interacting with all persons of all ages. A solid basic understanding of computers is required. Smile!
Daily Job Responsibilities:
- Greets and assists all visitors. (General visitors, educational classes, scheduled meetings, staff appointments, wedding guests, and groups) Responsible for giving the visitor accurate information. Examples include: boat and tram times.
- Responsible for reading the schedule and/or checking Altru scheduling software daily to know what events are taking place and what groups are expected. Also, reading memos and emails for direction.
- Responsible for learning to operate computer software and programs for various functions and applications.
- Operates cash register, responsible for initial money and money taken in.
- Responsible for filling out the Shift Report correctly and giving explanations on any and all voids or questionable transactions. Responsible for dropping bag into safe with all monies, coupons collected and other paperwork used or taken in for that shift.
- Helps visitors plan their time at the Garden. (Must know Garden lay out and daily activities in the Garden)
- Answers incoming phone inquiries and transfers calls to the proper extension.
- Understands and promotes memberships.
- Maintains and distributes the proper brochure/literature to visitors.
- Responsible for appearance of information desk and contacts facilities staff when bathrooms and lobby area need attention.
- Accepts payment for weddings and memberships.
- When the registrar is not available, signs students up for classes and collects payment.
- Calls Pepsi when machines are broken or need to be restocked.
- Maintains drop-off/pick-up log.
- Assists visitors with lost and found items and wheel-chair check-out.
- Greets everyone entering the Garden and directs them to the appropriate place, including the general visitor, event attendees, and class participants.
- Collects the appropriate admission fee and/or count people entering. Applies appropriate accounting procedures while doing so. This would include but not limited to cash, credit card, checks, and Travelers Check payments.
- Responsible for giving out the appropriate handouts. When the handout supply is low, responsible for informing supervisor to restock.
- Responsible for knowing the different admission procedures when using Altru. Examples include but not limited to: how to apply discounts and coupons and how to adjust sales when taking school or tour group payments.
- Collects payment for school and tour groups.
- Responsible for knowing and applying the various discounts and coupons offered.
- Check students in or collects payment for classes.
- Checks membership cards for type of membership and expiration date. Only allows the appropriate number of members in per membership type and charging for additional visitors.
- Responsible for knowing and enforcing Garden rules and guidelines, including but not limited to: what time to allow visitors in, who pays admission and who is counted, not allowing dogs, informing people about bike night, informing people about not launching boats from the Garden, etc.
- Handles difficult visitors who do not want to abide by Garden rules and guidelines and does not allow them entry into the Garden.
- Responsible for expediting each transaction in a timely manner to avoid long lines of visitors waiting to enter the Garden.
- Responsible for keeping the toll booth clean.
- Notifies different staff members when appointments, etc. arrives at the Garden
Reports to: Visitor Services Manager
Apply to David.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Youth Educator
Description: Seasonal Term position.
School Term: September-May; Summer Term: June-August
Average weekly hours vary throughout the year; Spring and Summer Terms averages 20-35 hours per week. At least three weekend day shifts per month required.
The Norfolk Botanical Garden Youth Education seeks Educators who are creative, energetic, flexible and passionate about environmental education.
School Term: Facilitate school, scout, family and birthday programs for children to age 12.
Year Round: Present “Discovery” programs to visitors and help to ensure overall safety and customer satisfaction in the World of Wonders: A Children’s Adventure Garden.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct school programs both on-site and for outreaches in area schools.
The World of Wonders Children’s Garden:
• Educate the public using various props, WOW plants and natural materials.
• Orient visitors to Children’s Garden map, guidelines and activities.
• Encourage families to have positives interactions with WOW materials, plants and properties.
• Perform cleaning duties to ensure an attractive and sanitary work environment.
• Educate visitors about current special exhibits.
• Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
Family, Scout and Birthday Programs:
• Lead Birthday programs for children ages 5-10. Assist families in hosting parties.
• Lead Girl Scout and Boy Scout Badge programs.
• Lead night hikes, songs and games for evening events.
Reports to: Director of Youth Education. Send resumes and NBG Application to email@example.com
Description: This is a term position that performs front line visitor services functions. Term lasts March-October. Possible intermittent work October – January.
Essential Functions: Conduct garden tours and programs for the general public and relay general visitor information.
This is a front-line visitor services job with high visibility. As a Tour Guide, you serve as the face of Norfolk Botanical Garden and should at all times present a highly professional demeanor.
Education and Experience: Requires excellent oral, written and customer service skills. Applicants must be creative and have the ability to work independently. Must also enjoy working with people and the ability to speak to large groups is essential. Weekend and evening work required.
• College experience required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Requires teaching experience at the elementary or pre-school level. Experience in the field of horticulture, biology, gardening, natural science, or a like subject preferred.
• Pre-screening drug test, state background check, social security card and valid driver’s license required.
Other Requirements: Must be 18 or older with valid driver’s license. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct tram and boat tours
• Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.)
• Greet and help orient visitors
• Respond to visitor inquiries
• Assist with special event tour related activities
• Work evenings for Dominion Garden of Lights (November – December) as assigned
• Assist Public Program Coordinator(s) with other duties as assigned
Reports to: Public Program Coordinator(s)
Submit application to: Public Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or Visitor Center front desk.