Call for Art: Diversity Gallery
We are excited to announce an open call for art submissions from talented local artists who identify as people of color. This is a unique opportunity to showcase your creativity, perspectives, and cultural expressions in our upcoming community art exhibition. This event is open to local high school, collegiate and professional artists from the Hampton Roads area.
Theme: Celebrating Diversity and Identity
We invite local artists to explore the theme of “Celebrating Diversity and Identity” through displaying their artworks. This theme aims to highlight the rich tapestry of cultures, experiences, and identities within our community.
- Artists must identify as people of color and reside within the local Hampton Roads area.
- Artworks can be in any visual medium, including but not limited to painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, mixed media, and digital art that can be hung on the wall.
- Artworks must be able to be hung on the wall and not weigh over 30lbs.
- Each artist can submit up to three artworks.
- Artworks can be previously exhibited publicly.
- Prepare clear images or representations of your artworks for submission.
- Write a brief artist statement (100-200 words) explaining who you are and your artwork.
- Include your name, contact information, and a short bio.
- Submission Deadline: November 5th, 2023
- Notification of Acceptance: December 1st, 2023
- Exhibition Dates: January 3rd – February 29th, 2024
- Opening Reception: February 3rd, 2024 (more details to come)
How to Submit:
Please click on the link below to submit your work and fill out the application.
The selected artworks will be displayed at Baker Hall Visitor Center during the exhibition dates. This is an excellent opportunity to connect with fellow artists and engage with the local community.
We are committed to providing an inclusive platform that celebrates diversity and promotes underrepresented voices. We encourage emerging artists, high school student as well as those with more experience to submit their work.
For any questions or inquiries, please contact Nathaniel Cody in the marketing department or call at 757.441.5830 ext. 332.
Let’s come together to celebrate the vibrant artistic expressions of our local people of color artists! Your creativity contributes to the beauty and cultural richness of our community.
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Norfolk Botanical Garden represents an oasis of more than 65 themed gardens encompassing 175 beautiful acres. From stunning plant collections to WOW – World of Wonders: A Children’s Adventure Garden, this diverse natural beauty can be explored by tram, boat, or walking tours. The Garden is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, recognized as a Virginia Historic Landmark, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Virginia Green attraction. It is managed by Norfolk Botanical Garden, Inc. and supported by the City of Norfolk. The mission of Norfolk Botanical Garden is to IMMERSE visitors in a world of beauty, LEAD through environmental action, and INSPIRE through education and connection to nature.