Dates: Sundays through Thursdays
Monday, November 30,2015-Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Thank you for helping with our own Polar Express, right here in the Garden. Volunteers help families get cookies and hot chocolate, assist the families while they create a keepsake ornament, and some volunteers ride the tram to the North Pole.
When you volunteer
Park and enter at the Visitors Center. When you enter the Visitor Center, go down the hall to the right (as you face the front desk). You will go past the education doors, and past the double doors. The classrooms are on your left, the restrooms on your right. You report to Jen Erving, Director of Youth Education or Louise Bowling, Youth Programs Coordinator, or one of the Youth Educators. They will immediately put you to work. If you haven’t turned in your volunteer information sheet, please put it in the clipboard that holds the sign in sheet.
- Be sure to sign the sign up sheet. Make sure you print your name carefully so you get full credit for your volunteer time. If you do not sign in, we cannot verify your hours.
- Dress in layers, you might be riding the tram.
- Wear comfortable shoes, you’ll be on your feet.
- You’ll be assisting with the craft, not doing it yourself.
- Eat a snack before you get to the Garden; the cookies and hot chocolate are for the families.
- While you are with the public, no talking, texting, surfing, or tweeting on a phone. No ear buds, Bluetooth earpieces or earphones.
Bad Weather Policy
If the weather is bad, the Norfolk Botanical Garden follows the City of Norfolk’s policy on closing. If the TV says the City of Norfolk is closed (NOT schools and NOT courts), then the Garden and Garden of Lights will be closed as well.
If the weather is bad on a holiday or weekend, and you are not sure whether or not to come in, you can call the front desk at 441-5830 ext. 324 (9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.) to see if the Garden is closed.
Of course, if you cannot come in safely, you can call the front desk (757-441-5830 ext. 324) or my phone (757-441-5830 ext. 327) and have one of us inform the supervisor for that night that you will not be coming in.
Have fun! You’re helping create a memory that will last forever.
For additional information, contact Amanda Wells, Volunteer Services Manager – 757-441-5830 ext. 327