Know Before You Go- School Year:
Cancellations If you need to cancel a field trip you must notify the Registrar at 441-5830 x311 as soon as possible. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
- Guided Garden Tours are conducted outdoors rain or shine.
- In extreme weather conditions, tours can be rescheduled with no penalty if another date is available. Call the Group Sales Coordinator office at (757) 441-5830 x 311 should you need to reschedule. Please dress appropriately in closed-toed shoes and jackets/raincoats if necessary.
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled tour in case there is a line at the tollbooth. If you arrive to the Garden later than your scheduled start time, your guided portion will be shortened.
- Bus parking is in the back left corner of the parking lot. Please direct your bus drivers to park and unload the students in this location. Do not unload in front of the Baker Hall Visitor Center.
- We recommend the airport berm overlooking the Norfolk International Airport for a “picnic blanket style” lunch. Bring something for your students to sit on and trash bags to pack out your trash.
- Due to its size and location, the Picnic Shelter is not available for school groups.
- The maximum number of students per guided group is 30. If you have more than 30 students in your class, it may be necessary to split classes. Classes smaller than 15 may be combined for the guided tour.
- Should you need to leave earlier than previously planned notify your garden teacher upon arrival.
- Groups are not permitted to visit the Children’s Garden before 12:30PM unless they are on a scheduled guided tour.
Rates & Payment Information
- Teachers and bus drivers receive complimentary admission.
- Finalized group numbers must be submitted to the Garden 48 hours before your visit. Payment for this number of students is required. No refunds will be given for confirmed students who do not attend the program.
- Memberships may not be applied towards student fees for school tours. Garden members chaperoning school tours will not be charged admission. Non-member chaperones pay the chaperone admission rate at the gate.
- Payment can be made with a credit card, check, or cash the day of your field trip.
- Make checks payable to NBGS. If using cash, please have the amount collected prior to your arrival. Payment will be collected at the Tollbooth located at the entrance to the garden.
- If most/all of your group will arrive by individual cars instead of bus please notify the registrar at the time of booking.
Classroom Educator Visits: Bring your classroom teachers, volunteers and administrators to the Garden to prepare for lessons for your classroom. Your visit includes reduced admission, a pre-visit telephone consultation with a member of our Youth Education department and on-site orientation. Cost: $6/Educator. Pre-registration required.
Boat tours for Educators: $150 fee reserves a guided boat tour highlighting the plants and wildlife around Lake Whitehurst. Reserve up to 23 seats on a private boat tour (2 boats available for groups-for a maximum of 46 seats). Guests can also purchase tickets individually for the public boat tour on a first come basis. See visitor center for public boat tour schedule and ticket pricing.
Specialized Programs: Don’t see the tour you want? Let us specialize one for you! Cost is $12/student and includes a one-hour tour at the Garden. Planning for the tour includes personalized consultation with a Youth Programs Coordinator to determine the tour topic and activities. A specialized program requires a $50/non-refundable deposit.
Project Learning Tree: Forests of the World, Monday, June 5, 2017
Project Learning Tree: Environmental Experiences for Early Childhood, Wednesday, August 16
Below are handouts and fliers that teachers may may download and use in the classroom.