WOW NatureKids Children’s Garden Programs
Takes place in the World of Wonders Children’s Adventure Garden
(WOW Children’s Adventure Garden requires 1/3 mile walk to WOW area from the parking area.)
Bring your students out for this field trip to explore the Garden ecosystem while investigating animal adaptations, food chains and natural resources. VA SOL: Science: 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10
Plant Geeks & Ancient Greeks
Come to WOW and let us introduce your students to the Ancient Greeks and their contributions in Ithaca Isle, travel to Africa to investigate the rich history of Mali, then visit Discovery Peak to find some of the spices that the explorers were searching for. VA SOL: History/Geography/Economics: 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8
Tram Tours for School Groups
- School group tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not include tram rides, unless booked separately.
- Tram rides are considered an additional tour and do not reduce the amount of walking required for a Guided walking tour.
- Cost: $2/person in addition to the above tour rates. Minimum of $75. Chaperones covered free for admission must book and pay for a tram seat. Teachers ride the tram for free but must still be included in the number of seats booked.
- Trams are booked for a maximum of 75 people (children and adults).
- Trams must be booked when tours are scheduled and are subject to availability.
- If a tram is scheduled but is unavailable due to maintenance or other issues, your group will not be charged for the tram rides.
Traveling School Outreach Programs
Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day. Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the school year, Outreach Programs are available October -February only and will be scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday afternoons for 12:30-1:30pm, 1-2pm or 2-3pm.
Seeds 101-Plants as a Natural Resource
From the almost microscopic vanilla bean seed to the 40-pound Coco-de-mer this outreach will show your students that seeds come in all shapes sizes and colors and are used to make many of the items we use everyday. VA SOL: Science: 2.8, 3.7, 3.8, 3.10
Plants and People Outreach
How did the Native Americans use their environment for survival? What are some of the great achievements of Ancient China and Egypt? Let our garden teacher bring these answers to your classroom through plants and tools use by these cultures. (A great review for 3rd graders). VA SOL: History/Geography: 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.8
Garden Ecosystems Outreach
Liven up your classroom with an introduction to an ecosystem from the Norfolk Botanical Garden! Pass the energy through the food web game, learn about animal adaptations, communities, and populations as we explore the interdependence of plants and animals in their ecosystem. VA SOL: Science: 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10
To schedule a school or children’s group tour please email the following information; the name of the program you would like to reserve, if you would like to add the narrated tram tour to your visit, your reservation date and time preferences, the number of students, teachers and parent chaperones planning to attend, and your complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.