WOW NatureKids Children’s Garden Program
Takes place in the World of Wonders Children’s Adventure Garden
(WOW Children’s Adventure Garden requires 1/3 mile walk to WOW area from the parking area.)
Flowers & Friends/Creepers & Croakers
What is the difference between an evergreen and a deciduous plant? Why do some animals hibernate and some animals migrate? Discover the dynamic relationship between plants and animal, found in the garden. Explore the different journeys that plants and animals take during their life cycle experience. VA SOL: Science:1.1,1.4,1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8,2.4,2.5,2.7,2.8
Plants and People
*This Program is designed to be a presentation style program*
How did the American Indians use their environment for survival? Explore the Children’s Garden and compare the homes, tools, and ways of life for the Lakota, Powhatan and the Pueblo. VA SOL: History/Geography: 2.4, 2.5, 2.8b
Tram Tours for School Groups
- School group tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not include tram rides, unless booked separately.
- Tram rides are considered an additional tour and do not reduce the amount of walking required for a Guided walking tour.
- Cost: $2/person in addition to the above tour rates. Minimum of $75. Chaperones covered free for admission must book and pay for a tram seat. Teachers ride the tram for free but must still be included in the number of seats booked.
- Trams are booked for a maximum of 75 people (children and adults).
- Trams must be booked when tours are scheduled and are subject to availability.
- If a tram is scheduled but is unavailable due to maintenance or other issues, your group will not be charged for the tram rides.
Traveling School Outreach Programs
Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day. Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the school year, Outreach Programs are available October -February only and will be scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday afternoons for 12:30-1:30pm, 1-2pm or 2-3pm.
Plants and People
How did the Native Americans use their environment for survival? Let our Garden Teacher bring these answers to your classroom through plants and tools use by these tribes. (Great Review for 3rd Graders, information on Ancient Egypt and Ancient China can also be included with this program upon request). VA SOL: History/Geography: 2.2, 2.4, 2.8
Seeds 101-Plants as a natural Resource
From the almost microscopic vanilla bean seed to the 40-pound Coco-de-mer this outreach will show your students that seeds come in all shapes sizes and colors and are used to make many of the items we use everyday. VA SOL: Science: 2.8, 3.7, 3.8, 3.10
To schedule a school or children’s group tour please email the following information; the name of the program you would like to reserve, if you would like to add the narrated tram tour to your visit, your reservation date and time preferences, the number of students, teachers and parent chaperones planning to attend, and your complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.