WOW NatureKids Children’s Garden Program
Takes place in the World of Wonders Children’s Adventure Garden
(WOW Children’s Adventure Garden requires 1/3 mile walk to WOW area from the parking area.)
Flowers & Friends/Creepers & Croakers
What is the difference between an evergreen and a deciduous plant? Why do some animals hibernate and some animals migrate? Discover the dynamic relationship between plants and animal, found in the garden. Explore the different journeys that plants and animals take during their life cycle experience. VA SOL: Science:1.1,1.4,1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8,2.4,2.5,2.7,2.8
Plant Parts & Book Smarts!
Norfolk Botanical Garden has designed s program to bring together Science, Math and History! Walk up discovery Peak with our garden teacher and learn many great accomplishments of George Washington Carver! Visit the plant safari conduct your own scientific investigations, then head to the sensory garden to study plant parts and functions! VA SOL: History/Geography: 1.2, VA SOL: Math : 1.20 VA SOL: Science:1.4
Tram Tours for School Groups
- School group tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not include tram rides, unless booked separately.
- Tram rides are considered an additional tour and do not reduce the amount of walking required for a Guided walking tour.
- Cost: $2/person in addition to the above tour rates. Minimum of $75. Chaperones covered free for admission must book and pay for a tram seat. Teachers ride the tram for free but must still be included in the number of seats booked.
- Trams are booked for a maximum of 75 people (children and adults).
- Trams must be booked when tours are scheduled and are subject to availability.
- If a tram is scheduled but is unavailable due to maintenance or other issues, your group will not be charged for the tram rides.
Traveling School Outreach Programs
Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day. Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the school year, Outreach Programs are available October -February only and will be scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday afternoons for 12:30-1:30pm, 1-2pm or 2-3pm.
Plants & Animals of the Garden
What is the Norfolk Botanical Garden? Sure we have plants, but did you know that these plants are a very important part of the habitat for our wildlife? Let us show your students the inside scoop on how our garden grows and how our plants and animals that live here change throughout the seasons. VA SOL: Science: 1.4, 1.5, 1.7
To schedule a school or children’s group tour please contact the Registrar.
Monday through Friday 10AM – 2PM 1(757) 441-5830 x 338
Teachers may also email inquiries to Registrar@nbgs.org