NatureKids Guided School Field Trip Programs
Norfolk Botanical Garden is an ideal setting to have a field trip. An oasis of green smack dab in the middle of Hampton Roads, mere minutes away from your classroom but worlds away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Help enhance your student’s learning experience with WOW NatureKids Programs which are held in our World of Wonders Children’s Garden. Can’t make it out the Garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our outreach programs!
Programs by Grade
- Pre-K and Kindergarten Programs
- First Grade Programs
- Second Grade Programs
- Third Grade Programs
- Fourth – Sixth Grade Programs
- Outreach Programs
Reservations Advance registrations are required. Reservations must be made at least two weeks in advance. After registering you will receive a confirmation letter by E-mail listing your tour time and schedule. To schedule a school or children’s group tour please contact the Registrar. Monday through Friday 10AM – 2PM 1(757) 441-5830 x 338. Teachers may also email inquiries to email@example.com Guided School Group Tours
- Cost: $7 per person. Program times are 9:45AM, 10:45AM and 11:45AM.
- Offered October through mid-June.
- Includes admission to the Garden and a one-hour educational program lead by a Youth Educator. For tram ride information (additional cost required) see below.
- Guided school tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not included tram rides unless booked separately (see below).
- $100 minimum charge to book a guided tour.
- Payment for all participants, including accompanying parent chaperones and siblings must be collected ahead of time by the school and submitted with the group payment at Admission Gate upon arrival on the day of scheduled visit.
- Guided Groups are not allowed to re-visit WOW Children’s Garden after their tour.
Self-Guided School Groups
- Cost: $6 discounted admission rate per person. Minimum tour fee of $100.
- One chaperone per every 5 students is complimentary for the self-guided walking tour. Teachers and bus drivers are also complimentary. Chaperone complimentary tickets DO NOT apply to tram tours. Memberships may not be applied to self-guided school tours.
- Offered October through mid-June Monday-Friday after 1pm.
- Self-guided school tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not included tram rides unless booked separately (see below).
- For $2 addition per person, let our Garden Guides take your group on a narrated tram tour of the Garden. Tram rides are approximately 30 minutes in length and are only available to self-guided groups through pre-booking. Minimum booking fee of $50 required to reserve a tram tour.
- Due to the high volume of Guided School programs, groups are not allowed to visit the WOW children’s garden during the school year unless accompanied by NBG Staff during a guided field trip (Sept-May).
Self-Guided Summer Group Tours Summer group tours for day cares, day camps and all other youth-related groups will be available beginning March 1, 2015.
Tram Tours for School Groups
- School group tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not include tram rides, unless booked separately.
- Tram rides are considered an additional tour and do not reduce the amount of walking required for a Guided walking tour.
- Cost: $2/person in addition to the above tour rates. Minimum of $75. Chaperones covered free for admission must book and pay for a tram seat. Teachers ride the tram for free but must still be included in the number of seats booked.
- Trams are booked for a maximum of 75 people (children and adults).
- Trams must be booked when tours are scheduled and are subject to availability.
- If a tram is scheduled but is unavailable due to maintenance or other issues, your group will not be charged for the tram rides.
World of Wonders Children’s Adventure Garden
- Only groups that schedule for the WOW programs will be admitted into the children’s garden.
- Groups that are coming for a program in the children’s garden will not be given free time after their program to play.
- All groups will receive coupons for their students to visit the garden at a discounted rate with their parents.
Rates & Payment Information
- One chaperone per every 5 students is complimentary for the school tours. Teachers and bus drivers also receive complimentary admission. Chaperone complimentary tickets DO NOT apply to tram tours. Memberships may not be applied to guided school tours.
- Payment can be made with a credit card, check, or cash the day of your field trip.
- Make checks payable to NBGS. If using cash, please have the amount collected prior to your arrival. Payment will be collected at the Tollbooth located at the entrance to the garden.
- Membership is not included in the tour rate. Parents/siblings participating in the tour must be included in payment, even if they are Members of the Garden.
- If most/all of your group will arrive by individual cars instead of bus please notify the registrar at the time of booking.
Cancellations If you need to cancel a field trip you must notify the Registrar at 441-5830 x338 as soon as possible. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Inclement Weather
- Guided Garden Tours are conducted outdoors rain or shine.
- In extreme weather conditions, tours can be rescheduled with no penalty if another date is available. Call the registrar’s office at (757) 441-5830 x338 should you need to reschedule. Please dress appropriately in closed-toed shoes and jackets/raincoats if necessary.
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled tour in case there is a line at the tollbooth. If you arrive to the Garden later than your scheduled start time, your guided portion will be shortened.
- Bus parking is in the back left corner of the parking lot. Please direct your bus drivers to park and unload the students in this location. Do not unload in front of the Baker Hall Visitor Center.
- We recommend the airport berm overlooking the Norfolk International Airport for a “picnic blanket style” lunch. Bring something for your students to sit on and trash bags to pack out your trash.
- Due to its size and location, the Picnic Shelter is not available for school groups.
- Note- during the spring of 2015, sections of the berm will be closed for planting. There will still be plenty of space to picnic, just be aware of areas that you children should not enter.
- The maximum number of students per guided group is 25. If you have more than 25 students in your class, it may be necessary to split classes.
- Should you need to leave earlier than previously planned notify your garden teacher upon arrival.
Outreach Programs (October-February) Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the school year, Outreach Programs are available October -February only and will be scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday afternoons for 12:30-1:30 pm, 1-2 pm or 2-3 pm.
Outreach Programs (June-August) Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the summer, Outreach Programs are available June-August only and will be scheduled on Mondays and Fridays 10AM-3PM.
Teacher Resources Handouts and flyers that teachers may download and use in the classroom. Click here to learn more.