Contact: Jessica Hintz – Guest Services & Group Sales Coordinator
Telephone: (757) 441-5830 x311
To schedule a school field trip or children’s group tour please email the following information; the name of the program you would like to reserve, your reservation date and time preferences, the number of students, teachers and parent chaperons planning to attend, and your complete contact information to GroupSales@nbgs.org or call the Group Sales Coordinator at (757)441-5830 x311.
NEW for Spring 2016 – LanternAsia Guided Educational Tours for Children
This year NBG will host the LanternAsia exhibit for the first time ever! During the LanternAsia exhibit all Children’s Educational Tours will take place in our WOW Children’s Garden and will include include a 30 minute guided program, in line with social studies and/or science SOL’s for each grade level as well as admission to the LanternAsia exhibit. Specific tour topics will be released in October.
Cost: $12/student K-8 (school employees admitted for free during field trip). $12/person for adult chaperons (chaperons with Garden Memberships may chaperon the trip free of charge) Chaperons are not guaranteed space on the school tour tram, but will have access to public trams throughout their visit.
Dates: Monday-Thursday; March 7- April 29 (no tours on April 21-25) Each reservation time slot can accommodate up to two classes or 50 students max. Groups with more than 50 students will need to book multiple times slots and/or multiple days. Minimum booking, 20 students. Advanced reservations required.
Guided Field Trips
- Cost: $9 per person. Program times are 9:45AM, 10:45AM and 11:45AM.
- Offered September-November 2015 & May-June 2016. Advanced reservations required.
- Includes admission to the Garden, a one-hour educational program lead by a Youth Educator and a narrated tram tour.
- $100 minimum charge/15 students required to book a guided tour.
- Payment for all participants must be collected ahead of time by the school and submitted with the group payment at Admission Gate upon arrival on the day of scheduled visit.
- Guided Groups are not allowed to re-visit WOW Children’s Garden after their tour.
Self-Guided Field Trips
- Cost: $8 discounted admission rate per person. Minimum tour fee of $100. Teachers and bus drivers are complimentary.
- Includes admission to the Garden and access to the public tram on a first come first served basis.
- Available September-November 2015 & May-June 2016. Advanced reservations required.
- Self-guided school tours booked after January 1, 2015 do not included tram rides unless booked separately (see below).
- Due to the high volume of Guided School programs, groups are not allowed to visit the WOW children’s garden during the school year unless accompanied by NBG Staff during a guided field trip (Sept-May).
Outreach Programs (October-February) Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the school year, Outreach Programs are available October -February only and will be scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday afternoons for 12:30-1:30 pm, 1-2 pm or 2-3 pm. To book an educational outreach program please contact Louise.Bowling@nbgs.org.
Summer Self-Guided Children’s Visit
- Cost: $8 discounted admission rate per person (ages 3+) Advanced reservations required.
- Includes admission to the garden, two hours of access to the WOW Children’s Garden (specific time given at time of booking) and access to the Public Tram Tours (first-come, first-serve).
- Minimum fee of $96 (12 children) required to qualify for group rate.
- Self-guided Children’s Tour Reservations are available June-August 2015 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 9:30, 10:30 and 11:30 AM. Reservations must be booked at least three business-days in advance of arrival date and are subject to availability.
Summer Guided Children’s Education Tour
- Cost: $12/person (ages 3+). Advanced reservations required.
- Includes admission to the garden, access to the WOW Children’s Garden, a container garden with herbs for each child, and a one-hour guided tour. Groups also enjoy access to our Public Tram tours (first-come, first-serve).
- ne chaperone per every six paid children is free. Minimum fee of $180 (15 children) required to qualify for guided group reservation.
- Guided Summer Children’s Education Tour Reservations are available June-August 2015 on Monday-Friday mornings at 9:30, 10:30 and 11:30 AM. Reservations must be booked at least three business-days in advance of arrival date and are subject to availability.
Book a classroom in the WOW Children’s Garden for two hours, to have your own space to access the World of Wonders Children’s Garden (Monday-Friday based on availability). Classroom capacity is 35 people. Cost: $150/ 2-hour rental in addition to Group Rate or Guided Tour fees.
Summer Outreach Programs (June-August) Can’t make it out the garden? Then let the Garden come to you with our Suitcase Science outreach programs. Choose from a variety of topics, schedule a visit, and let one of our Garden Teachers lead an SOL based program designed to complement your curriculum. $80 per class (maximum 25 students), $60 for each additional class on the same day Limit 3 classes per day with same program. During the summer, Outreach Programs are available June-August only and will be scheduled on Mondays or Fridays only between 10AM-3PM. To book a summer educational outreach program please contact Louise.Bowling@nbgs.org.
Cancellations If you need to cancel a field trip you must notify the Registrar at 441-5830 x311 as soon as possible. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Inclement Weather
- Guided Garden Tours are conducted outdoors rain or shine.
- In extreme weather conditions, tours can be rescheduled with no penalty if another date is available. Call the Group Sales Coordinator office at (757) 441-5830 x 311 should you need to reschedule. Please dress appropriately in closed-toed shoes and jackets/raincoats if necessary.
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled tour in case there is a line at the tollbooth. If you arrive to the Garden later than your scheduled start time, your guided portion will be shortened.
- Bus parking is in the back left corner of the parking lot. Please direct your bus drivers to park and unload the students in this location. Do not unload in front of the Baker Hall Visitor Center.
- We recommend the airport berm overlooking the Norfolk International Airport for a “picnic blanket style” lunch. Bring something for your students to sit on and trash bags to pack out your trash.
- Due to its size and location, the Picnic Shelter is not available for school groups.
- The maximum number of students per guided group is 25. If you have more than 25 students in your class, it may be necessary to split classes.
- Should you need to leave earlier than previously planned notify your garden teacher upon arrival.
Rates & Payment Information
- Teachers and bus drivers receive complimentary admission.
- Memberships may not be applied towards student fees for school tours. Garden members chaperoning school tours will not be charges admission. Non-member cahperones will need to pay the $9 school group admission rate.
- Payment can be made with a credit card, check, or cash the day of your field trip.
- Make checks payable to NBGS. If using cash, please have the amount collected prior to your arrival. Payment will be collected at the Tollbooth located at the entrance to the garden.
- If most/all of your group will arrive by individual cars instead of bus please notify the registrar at the time of booking.
Teacher Resources Handouts and flyers that teachers may download and use in the classroom. Click here to learn more. For more information contact the Youth Education Coordinator by phone 757 441-5830 x461 or by email Louise.Bowling@nbgs.org
Classroom Educator Visits: Bring your classroom teachers, volunteers and administrators to the Garden to prepare for lessons for your classroom. Your visit includes reduced admission, a pre-visit telephone consultation with a member of our Youth Education department and on-site orientation. Cost: $6/Educator. Pre-registration required.
Boat tours for Educators: $150 fee reserves a guided boat tour highlighting the plants and wildlife around Lake Whitehurst. Reserve up to 23 seats on a private boat tour (2 boats available for groups-for a maximum of 46 seats). Guests can also purchase tickets individually for the public boat tour on a first come basis. See visitor center for public boat tour schedule and ticket pricing.