Volunteers make up a huge component of our organization, from our Board of Directors to a Horticulture volunteer pulling weeds. Our 175 acres need constant care and attention, and our volunteer contingent helps us immensely by cleaning up our plant beds, planting bulbs and young plants, watering, mulching and so much more!
But volunteering at Norfolk Botanical Garden is not only gardening – volunteers work in every department, inside and outdoors. Yes, there is lots of mulching and weeding done year-round, but volunteers also assist our administration team with paperwork, conduct retail transactions in our gift shop and event volunteers greet guests as they enter our visitor center!
- Families are welcome to volunteer together; the youngest family member must be at least 10 years old.
- Volunteers younger than 16 are required to work alongside a parent or family member at least 18 years old.
- Minimum age for volunteers working on their own is 16 years.
We welcome students, scouts, or clubs who want to come out as a group for a special project. The ratio of adults to youth is 1 adult to every 5 youth, and the adults will work alongside the younger volunteers.
Norfolk Botanical Garden policy prevents us from honoring court-related or court-ordered community service. For a list of organizations that do, please click here.
The Benefits of Giving Your Time
When you volunteer at Norfolk Botanical Garden, you gain a variety of valuable personal benefits. You can try a new field of interest or expand your existing skills doing something you love. You’ll also meet new people with common interests, feel good about yourself and improve your community.
In addition to the wonderful new skills you’ll gain as a volunteer, there are a variety of other benefits to volunteering at the Norfolk Botanical Garden, including:
- Free Admission to several local museums*
- Borrowing privileges in the Frederic Heutte Horticultural Library
- Member rate for one adult education class per issuance of GROW Magazine (after 25 hours)
- Volunteer appreciation events
- Free boat rides (space permitting)
- 10% Discount in our Gift Shop and at our café, Marigold and Honey
(*Admission to local museums is based on the individual policy of each museum.)
Everything you do, big or small, makes a difference. Find out how you can help by searching our volunteer opportunities.
Get Involved! Apply using VolunteerHub!
For more information contact:
Phong Luu, Volunteer Coordinator
Norfolk Botanical Garden
6700 Azalea Garden Road
Norfolk , VA 23518-5337