Norfolk Botanical Garden Employment Opportunities
The Norfolk Botanical Garden gladly accepts applications for any open job posting.
All open jobs are posted here. If you cannot find a job match at this time, please consider a volunteer position.
Position type: Full-time hourly employee, 40 hours per week.
Description: Performs all aspects of display bed maintenance in the assigned area to set a standard of horticulture excellence.
Essential Functions: Maintains horticulture beds and collections through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the Border Garden, the Infinity Garden, and the Statuary Vista. Other responsibilities include supervising assigned Gardener’s assistants and volunteers. Assists in teaching classes and supports special events as requested. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and perform manual labor during working hours.
Education and Experience: Requires an Associate’s degree in Horticulture or a related field and 2 years of hands-on experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field and 1 year of hands-on experience. Requires good communication and organizational skills. Must have or obtain a Virginia Registered Technician pesticide license within 6 months of hiring. Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license. Experience with heavy machinery such as tractors, forklifts, skid steers, and front-end loaders a plus. A knowledge and/or experience maintaining perennial gardens is a plus.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains collections and display beds through weeding, watering, pruning, deadheading, mulching, edging, raking, fertilization and pesticide application.
- Prepares and submits label and plant removal requests to the Curator of Herbaceous Plants.
- Must monitor assigned area for insect, disease and weed problems, find the appropriate solutions and carry out the treatment.
- Performs the appropriate soil preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees.
- Operates small and large engine equipment safely. (golf cart, weed-eater, blower, edger, truck, tractor, etc.)
- Cleans, and uses hand tools and equipment responsibly.
- Gives clear instructions and trains their assigned Horticulturist Assistant to perform the basic necessary tasks in assigned area when ill, on vacation or attending staff meetings.
- Works alongside other members of the Herbaceous Plants team and Horticulture Department in team projects. The ability to work well within a team environment is essential.
- Assists with the selection and evaluation of Horticulturist Assistants.
- Assists with special events, newsletter articles, outreach opportunities, lectures, tours, team projects, and other duties as assigned.
Salary range: $25,000-$32,000.00 with benefits package
Reports to: Curator of Herbaceous Plants
Affirmative action plan/equal employment opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, or other protected status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.