Congratulations to all of the Winners!
Click on photo to enlarge.
Grand Prize Winner: Don Williamson from Chester, VA
People Category Winner: Camille Vaughan from Virginia Beach, VA
Wildlife Category Winner: Kenneth Sheide from Yorktown, VA
Landscape Category Winner: John McCarthy from Norfolk, VA
Plant and Flower Category Winner: Debra Gauthier from Norfolk, VA
Rule and Requirements (Photography Contest is now closed)
Norfolk Botanical Garden invites amateur photographers of all ages to participate in the 75th Anniversary Digital Photography Competition!
Requirements: What to Enter
- We are looking for striking digital images highlighting Norfolk Botanical Garden.
- Images must be taken at Norfolk Botanical Garden, during the stated contest dates (January 1 – September 30, 2013).
- All photographs (up to 3) should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified. Images that do not meet these requirements may or may not be judged at the judging panel’s sole discretion.
- All images must be titled with the applicant/photographer’s first and last name and category. Images not titled in this format will not be accepted.
- All photographs will be credited with the caption “© Person’s Name.” The Garden has final approval of any language that appears on its website with any of the photos and will not promote or endorse third-party products or services.
- Photography Categories include: a.) Plants and Flowers b.) Wildlife c.) Landscapes d.) People
How to Enter
- Each photo must be submitted using the submission form below.
- If you include people in any of your photographs, you must be able to provide a signed Photography Release Form (click here for NBG Photo Release Form) upon request.
Eligibility and Judging
- To ensure eligibility for the contest, entries must be in digital format and have a resolution of 2 million pixels (2 megapixels). Photo must be in RGB, JPG format. No print submissions will be accepted.
- Entries may originate in any format—including, but not limited to, digital files, digital prints, color transparencies, color prints, or black and white prints—so long as they are submitted electronically.
- You may submit up to three photos to the contest. There is no fee for this contest.
- Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license (see “Your Rights” and “What to enter” above). You must be able to disclose when and where the photo appeared
previously to the Garden upon request.
- Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit. The judges include Garden staff members and/or guest judges familiar with photography and responsible for selecting images for various Garden printed and online marketing and membership materials.
- The Garden shall determine winner’s eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion. All decisions made by the judges are final.
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit—including ownership. By entering the contest, you hereby grant to Norfolk Botanical Garden (i) a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display and publicly perform the photographs you submit to the Garden, and (ii) the right to use your name, city, state, and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Deadline for submitting entries is 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on September 30, 2013.
- Winners will be announced in mid-October 2013.
- The Garden reserves the right to adjust any deadline(s) as a result of causes beyond its immediate control.
- The judging panel will select the winning photographs in the following categories: Plants and Flowers, Wildlife, Landscapes, and People.
- The panel will select winners as follows:
- Grand Prize winner ($250 cash prize)
- Category Winners ($100 cash prize each); one for each category
- Winning images may be used in both online and print communications from the Garden and otherwise used in accordance with these Contest Rules.
By entering this contest, you agree to the terms of these Contest Rules.
Questions and inquiries about contest rules can be directed to email@example.com